Kitchen supplies and combat the winter blues

Kitchen supplies and combat the winter blues


Today is January 15, 2007 and just lived through another power outage. This is the third in the Midwest in the last six months.

On July was 8 days and the outside temperature was 98F advantage soft. No air conditioning, refrigeration, no power or even a fan. The second, in late November, I marveled that I am very grateful. This last cut was due to an ice storm on January 12, 2007 and more than 150,000 homes in my area were without electricity. In the last review there were still about 80,000. Lucky me, I was one of them. Also, Lucky me, I have my order in less than forty-eight hours.

Once more I realize that most of you think I'm just ranting, but there is a point to this rambling. Sitting at home on my own freezing - I sent my family to family homes - I realized how much I miss the taste of barbecue. I miss the courtyard meetings with family and friends and I can not wait for warm spring and hot summer, when you can shoot up to the hole and cook everything gives me the heart - ribs, chicken, pork (for those they do not know this is pork shoulder or butt cut into steaks - 3 / 4 inch thick is best), hamburgers, hot dogs simple. Potato salad and coleslaw, melon, beer and wine coolers. I'm ready. Winter is too sad.

Sometimes you can satisfy the urge with indoor electric grill I've had for years. While it is not the same as a charcoal grill (I prefer charcoal supply over propane) that fits a need when combined with favorite barbecue sauce, either bottled or homemade. Now, just for you, if you do not have access to a grill inside, I'll give my absolute favorite recipe to get past the urge to barbecue in the winter. You can make really great BBQ chicken in the oven:

* 2 1 / 2 to 3 pounds. chicken pieces - either a whole chicken cut or pieces of their favorite parts - I usually use thighs and drumsticks, as I prefer dark meat
Salt and pepper to taste
* Water 1 / 3 cup
* 1 / 2 cup tomato sauce - salsa jalapeno use if you want to spice it up a bit
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or sweet hot
* Cider 1 / 4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 / 4 teaspoon dried red pepper - like cayenne - if you want some heat.


Preheat oven to 400deg F. Place chicken pieces in a deep baking dish and season with salt and pepper if desired.

In a bowl combine water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper if desired and pour over chicken pieces.

Bake about 45 minutes, uncovered, then the tip of the baking dish and remove the fat.

Cookware makes better quality home cooking [http:/ / Cookwareforhomecooking.com]

This dish will be responsible for any withdrawal of barbecue without being in subzero temperatures in a foot of snow. Goes well with any of your best homemade potato salad or deli and a green salad or hot green beans. Use your imagination and enjoy. What you do for a summer meeting to work here as well.

Leave a Reply